Wednesday 20 January 2016

Quick Reviews #13

I'm doing something a little different with today's Quick Reviews. I like to log all my films down with a rating so I can see how much I have seen every year. Now most of you probably know about this site as I am a little late to the game, but this year I have started to log them on Letterboxd. Recently it's been difficult to write big posts for my blog so I have decided to take a few of the short reviews I wrote over on the site and put them on here for you to see. Don't worry this isn't going to happen all the time now, I just wanted to tide you guys over until the next big thing, and I definitely do have some great things planned for the blog this year! So read on and have a look at some of the films I have been watching in January.


The Diary of a Teenage Girl
A thought provoking film about love, life, sex and finding one's self. Despite it's 70's setting it's a story that is just as relevant today, captivating and uncomfortable at the same time.
4/5

Sleeping With Other People
There's some fun and laughs to be had here, especially from excellent comedic performances of Jason Sudeikis and Alison Brie. The biggest problem with the film is that it suffers from an identity crisis. Is it a rom-com? Is it a sex comedy? Is it a serious insight into the lives of sex addicts? It's a bit of all three...
3/5

The End of Tour
A quietly brilliant film about two closed individuals who open up to each other and embark on a kind of friendship that reveals more about their characters as the film progresses. Its excellent script is made even better by the two lead performances and their captivating chemistry. Based on real people who I knew nothing about before the film, I now wish to find out more about each of them.
4/5

Straight Outta Compton
What a film! If I had seen this last year it would have made my top ten list. It’s powerful, moving, extremely topical and features outstanding performances from everyone involved. Believe the hype, this film is great!
Loved it.
5/5
Amy
A tragic and harrowing film about a truly talented, yet very vulnerable human being. It’s unbelievably powerful and really captures a personal account of Amy Winehouse’s life that I had never seen before. It’s a film about ethics, of our culture’s addiction to celebrity and the price that others have to pay for that. It’s a shame that this unique perspective into her troubling life was only brought about after her death. The film is enlightening, touching and is an extremely powerful message to society.
5/5
So there you have it, some films I have seen over the last few weeks rated and reviewed. I have seen more than these 5, of which you can go check out on my account here. I'm going to try write something for each film I see, so make sure to follow if you also have an account! 
I hope you have had a great film viewing start to 2016! 
Thanks for reading!



2 comments:

  1. I desperately need to see Straight Outta Compton. Like this week. ASAP. Also, Diary of a Teenage Girl! Those are both in my list of movies to see before composing my top 10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! They are all great and I really regret not watching them before I composed my top ten list! Thanks for commenting Courtney :)

      Delete

Please Feel Free To Comment!